• Hotel Alarun in Unterschleißheim

Book online


Book at the best price

No waiting - instant confirmation


A small timeline of the Flugwerft

1912: The area south of the Schleißheim castles is choosen as the location of the newly founded "Königlich-Bayerische Fliegertruppen" (Royal Bavarian Flying Corps). The first buildings for flight operation arise: the still existing command station and two wooden hangars.

1914-1918: In I. WW the Flugwerft was the garrison of a pilot training unit. The airfield is enlarged by numerous buildings. At the end of the war the building of the big maintenance hangar is installed, which is the centre of the museum of today.

1922-1933: Airlines make regular flights with freight and passengers. But for civil air traffic the Munich airfield at Oberwiesenfeld (today Olympia-Park) becomes more importance and is going to be enlarged.

From 1927 on civil pilots are trained by "Deutsche Verkehrsflieger-Schule".

1933-1945: After taking over the power the Nazis accelerated the enhancement of the Flugwerft with respect to the future Luftwaffe. Schleissheim is used for the training of fighter and bomber crews, 1943 the training of night fighters starts.

1945: After the war the US-Army came to the location. Till 1968 American helicopter units are stationed at the "Schleißheim Army Air Base". After founding of the "Bundeswehr" German soldiers too used the airfield. Military use of the "Heeresflieger" ended in 1981. Today the small flight strip is used by some flying clubs and a helicopter unit of the "Bundespolizei" is located nearby.
1988: Fortunately the area is classified as a historical monument and the buildings can be conserverd and restored. The become the first branch of Deutsches Museum.

1992: Flugwerft Schleissheim opens in 1992 as a branch museum for aviation.


More information:

Deutsches Museum Flugwerft Schleißheim
85764 Oberschließheim



Since the Olympic Games in 1972 the town of Oberschleißheim north of Munich is well known among rowers worldwide: The venu for rowing and canoe competitions was especially created for the XXth Olympic Games and is located six kilometers both of the Olympic Park, partly within the Munich city boundaries and partly on the soil of the town of Oberschleißheim, know for its famous Schleissheim Palace. The compound covers an of approx. 850,000 square metres.

Since 1972, national and international competitions took place frequently. In addition, rowing and canoe clubs use the regatta course as their training facility.


With an exakt length of 2.23 kilometres, 140 metres width and 3.5 metres depth the regatta course offers eight lanes for 1,000, 1,500, and 2,000 m races and has the FISA classification A1. Important for rowers: The regatta course was build parallely to the main wind direction south west/north east, therefore even with strong winds, there are a relatively low waves and equal conditions on all lanes.


Apart from rowing regattas, the compund is used for canoe regattas, swimming competitions, running events, cycling and triathlon. The tarred road around the course offers coaches and enthusiasts to follow the races on bicycles and the road is also a highly appreciated training course for cyclists and skaters.

More information:

Olympia-Regattastrecke Oberschleißheim
Dachauer Str. 35
85764 Oberschließheim



The Schleißheim Palace Complex is among the most beautiful and imposing palace complexes in Germany and a favourite with visitors from all over the world. Three palaces are located here in Oberschleißheim: the 'New Palace', the 'Old Palace' and 'Lustheim Palace'. Surrounding these three grand structures are several smaller pavilions, chapels and guest houses. Built as summer residencies in the 17th and 18th century, the three castles have undergone extensive renovations in recent years and are now back to their original baroque glory.

The palaces are connected by extensive picturesque gardens that offer very pretty views in all seasons. While the tended flower beds burst into colour during spring and summertime, autumn embellishes the woods with beautifully coloured leaves. In wintertime, when the palace complex is turned into a romantic landscape by snow and ice, the buildings and gardens resemble a historic picture.


Visitors can feel like royalty when strolling along the same pathways that dukes and princesses have used hundreds of years ago. A variety of art exhibitions and relics from former times await you when entering the palaces. Have a look at the baroque gallery of the picture collection of the Bavarian State in the pompous halls of the 'New Palace' or take one of the guided tours to learn more about the history and architecture of the castles.

More information:

Schloßanlage Schleißheim
Max-Emanuel-Platz 1
85764 Oberschließheim